I am an Assistant Professor in the Computer Engineering department at San José State University. In 2016, I received my Ph.D. in computer science from the University of Minnesota. My advisor was George Karypis. In 2011, I received my M.S. in computer science from Texas State University, under the guidance of Byron J. Gao.
My research interests fall broadly at the intersection of data mining, high performance computing, information retrieval, and cloud and distributed computing. Much of my work has been focused on scalable and efficient methods for analyzing sparse data. I have developed serial and parallel methods for identifying near neighbors, methods for characterizing how user behavior changes over time, and methods for personalized and collaborative presentation of Web search results. Future research directions of interest include:
- Knowledge discovery from Sparse Big Data.
- Scalable quantitative methods for Data Mining.
- Analysis of dynamic heterogeneous information networks.
- Personalized course pathway recommendation.
- Outlier detection in multivariate time-series.
- Feb 15, 2017 Our paper titled Cosine Approximate Nearest Neighbors has been accepted to be presented at iDSC, in Salzburg, Austria.
- Feb 8, 2017 Gave a talk at Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory on Efficient neighborhood graph construction for sparse high dimensional data.
- Feb 2, 2017 NVIDIA Corporation graciously donated two GeForce Titan X Pascal GPU cards to be used for parallel computing research in our lab.
- Nov 14, 2016. Participated in the Early Career Workshop at SC'16.
- Nov 13, 2016. Presented our work on Fast Parallel Cosine K-Nearest Neighbor Graph Construction at the Irregular Applications: Architectures and Algorithms workshop, which was part of SC'16.
- Oct 19, 2016. Our paper titled "Efficient Identification of Tanimoto Nearest Neighbors" has received the Best Research Paper Award at the 2016 IEEE International Conference on Data Science and Advanced Analytics (DSAA’2016).
- Oct 19, 2016. Was awarded the prestigious Next Generation Data Scientist Award (NDGS) at the 2016 IEEE International Conference on Data Science and Advanced Analytics (DSAA’2016).
- Aug 22, 2016. Joined the Department of Computer Engineering at San José State University as an Assistant Professor.